15 June 2010

BBBC 2010: Tuesday

Today's Topic: How hard do you think it is to find a relationship in SL? If you have an SL relationship, have you met in the physical world? Would you meet them? Do you think it would change your SL relationship if you met?

I see lots of people in a wide variety of relationships in SL, so if you're looking I imagine it's not too hard to find something. I'm happy when I find an acquaintanceship is turning into a friendship, but it's a fairly rare event for me.

I've met a couple people in the physical world that I first met online or on the grid. It's interesting to see which relationships are forever changed by a physical meeting, and which don't pause to notice.

The big difficulty of online relationships of any sort is the blanks. Our assumptions and cognitive baggage about gender, race, social status, disability, age, etc. We tend to fill in the unknowns about other people with our hopes and fears, and the reflections of ourselves we use for that often have nothing to do with the person behind the other keyboard.

No comments: