03 January 2007

Particle Misbehavior and PSYS_SRC_MAX_AGE

Aha! I've been seeing some odd stuff relating to particle effects that use PSYS_SRC_MAX_AGE. They might start firing again after a sim change, or someone comes near and they go off again... In an oddly embarassing occurance, sometimes when I'd teleport while wearing the octopus avatar I'd spontaneously shoot ink. Didn't see anything about this on the lsl wiki. This forum article had info for me though.

If you use PSYS_SRC_MAX_AGE to make the generation of particles 'time out' after a period of time then anytime that object comes into view for someone it restarts the particles. Whether it's rezzing, crossing sim boundaries or just someone coming into range.

I typically use a combination... I'll use PSYS_SRC_MAX_AGE to force the particles off however many seconds after they start, and then I'll have a timer function sent for some period of time slightly longer which calls llParticleSystem( [ ] ); to force the particles generation all the way off.

Can also use a llSleep() call followed by a llParticleSystem([])

No comments: